Steps to Buying a Home
As your local Ventura County Realtor and real estate team we understand how confusing the buying and selling process can be. The entire process of buying a home can take several months (or more depending) so try to have patience with yourself and the process. It is important to remember that there will always be another home out there and your perfect home is just waiting for you! See below for a summary of the steps to owning a home that you can expect to follow.
1. Work with a lender: Starting the process with a lender is important. This allows you to start the preapproval process and determine your level of affordability. There is nothing worse than falling in love with a home that is outside of your price range.
2. Decide which mortgage is the right fit for your situation: A knowledgeable mortgage lender can help direct you as to which mortgage makes the most sense for your family. A few options include conventional, FHA, and VA loans.
3. Start house hunting: The fun begins! The part you have been waiting for – the hunt for the perfect home. Enjoy the process of seeing homes that may be the “one” and others that scream they are not the perfect match.
4. Make an offer: Now that you have found the perfect home it is time to write up an offer to the sellers. As your trusted Ventura County Realtor and real estate team we are experts in this area and know how to write the perfect offer to help you get the home of your dreams.
5. Home inspection: Once your offer has been accepted it is time to start the home inspection process. This helps you to know what you are getting yourself into and to reveal any potentially hidden issues with the home.
6. Appraisal: Your lender will require an appraisal of the home to make sure that the true value of the home matches the purchase price in order to help protect themselves in lending you the money.
7. Repairs: Your home inspection likely revealed a repair or two that is needed. Now is the time to request that the sellers take care of these issues. You can also work together with the seller to come to an agreement on how the repairs can be resolved.
8. Final walk through: You will have one final time to review the home before closing. During this time it is typical to check on any repairs that were agreed upon to be completed.
9. Keys: Closing day has arrived! This is such an exciting day. We love presenting keys to our clients on closing day.